General Practice Nursing
Study mode and duration: full-time (3,5 years).
Study programme is carried out: Panevėžys University of Applied Sciences, Faculty of Biomedical Sciences
Degree and professional qualification: professional bachelor of health sciences; proffessional qualification general practice nurse.
Volume of study programme in credits: 210 ECTS credits.
Why choose this programme: study programme is to prepare a nursing professional. Graduates who have acquired professional qualification of a general practice nurse will be able to work in primary, secondary and tertiary health care institutions, national security and internal affairs health care system, social services institutions – in care homes for healthy and disabled people of all ages, private health care institutions.
|1 course||2 course||3 course||4 course|
|General subjects of college studies|
|Safe Work and Civil Safety||Professional Foreign Language|
|Basics of Entrepreneurship|
|Subjects of study field|
|Bioetic and Basics of Law||Obstetrical Nursing and Family Health||Community Nursing and Health Education|
|Microbiology and Infection Control||Professional Language Culture||Mental Health Nursing|
|Anatomy, Physiology and General Pathology||Basics of Biochemistry, Biophysics and Radiology||Nursing Applied Research|
|General Nursing||Communication and Medical Psichology||Surgical Nursing|
|Farmacology||Therapeutic Nursing||Emergency Medical Aid and Intensive Care|
|Childrenˈs Health Care and Nursing||Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation|
|Gerontology and Geriatric Nursing|
|Childrenˈs Health Care and Nursing||Obstetrical Nursing||Community Nursing||Final Practice|
|Geriatric Nursing||Therapeutic Nursing||Mental Health Nursing|
|Emergency Medical Aid and Intensive Care|
|Subjects set by the College or student electives|
|A1 Health Management / Leadership Education|
|Final Examination, Final Thesis|
PD1, PD2 – optional subjects common for the College, foreseen by the order of the Director.
A1 – alternatively chosen subjects, foreseen by the study programme committee
* This study plan applies from 2019.
Attention to practice: practical skills are being improved by students during practice in a real environment in various health care institutions and patients’ homes. Partners: Panevezys Republican Hospital, Panevezys Palliative Care and Nursing Hospital, Panevezys Policlinic, Panevezys City Ambulance Station, St. Joseph Care Home, Panevezys primary personal health care clinics and other health care institutions of the Republic.
Opportunities for international studies: students of the programme have the opportunity to study according to the ERASMUS student exchange program.
Career opportunities: graduates may pursue study results if they wish to study at university according to the study programmes of the first cycle. After the bridging courses or having accomplished the requirements of other higher educational institution, students have access to continue studies in the second study cycle with the view to attain master’s degree. A graduate can continue studies according to non-formal education programs in the fields of specialized care: ,,Anaesthesia and intensive care“, ,,Community nursing“, ,,Operating nursing“, ,,Mental health nursing“, ,,Emergency medical care“ and ,,Anaesthesia “.
The aim of the programme General Practice Nursing – to prepare a highly skilled nursing professional, who is able to nurse various age healthy or ill people, family and community applying holistic approach in all nursing process stages, to demonstrate critical thinking, social responsibility, independence and ability to work in a team and develop science-based nursing practice.
- Students know national and international health policies, legislation and nursing activity regulating documents; provide professional information in the limits of their competence.
- They are able to systematize and apply integrated knowledge of natural, biomedical and social sciences, humanities in family and community health practice.
- They are able to conduct nursing-oriented research, apply science, and practice evidence-based practice to tackle nursing problems.
- They are able to identify nursing needs, problems and plan nursing for persons of various ages.
- They are able to choose and carry out nursing activities and procedures in certain professional activity situations.
- They are able to provide the necessary (the first and urgent) medical aid in case of life-threatening conditions and injuries.
- They are capable of assessing nursing results, applying administration principles in practice.
- They are able to teach patients of various ages, their family members and community healthy lifestyle skills taking into account their health education needs.
- They are able to work in a team, collaborate with health care and other professionals, and communicate with patients and their families dealing with health problems.
- They are able to express fluently and expressively their thoughts orally and in written form, communicate effectively in professional environment in Lithuanian and foreign languages.