Emergency Medical Aid
Study mode and duration: full-time (3 years).
Study programme is carried out: Panevėžys University of Applied Sciences, Faculty of Biomedical Sciences.
Degree and professional qualification: professional bachelor of health sciences.
Volume of study programme in credits: 180 ECTS credits.
Why choose this programme: graduates will be able to work in first aid services establishments, admission departments of health care institutions, national defense system, medical divisions of internal affairs, rescue services and other institutions and enterprises, where his/her activity is required.
|1 course||2 course||3 course|
|General subjects of college studies|
|Safe Work and Civil Safety|
|A1 Professional Foreign Language|
|Basics of Enterpreneurship||Sociology|
|Subjects of study field|
|Medical and Communication Psychology||Information Technology and Basics of Statistics||Methodology of Applied Scientific Research|
|Microbiology and Infection Control||Acute Conditions in OB/Gyn||Basics of Emergency Medical Aid Delivery|
|Latin Language||Acute Conditions in Paediatrics||Medical Assistance in the Case of Mass Disaster|
|Bioethics||Health Management and Law||Specialized Intensive Care Assistance for Children and Adults|
|Anathomy, Physiology and Pathology||Acute Conditions in Psychiatry|
|Basics of Biochemistry and Biophysics||Acute Conditions in Medicine|
|Pharmacology||Acute Conditions in Surgery|
|General Nursing Procedures||Acute Conditions in Traumatology|
|First Medical Aid|
|Introductory Practice||Practice Emergency Medical Care in Acute Conditions||Final Practice|
|Subjects set by the College or student electives|
|A2 Healthy LifeStyle / Physical Activity|
|Final Examination, Final Thesis|
PD1, PD2 – optional subjects common for the College, foreseen by the order of the Director
A1, A2 – alternatively chosen subjects, foreseen by the study programme committee
* This study plan applies from 2020.
Attention to practice: practical skills are being improved by students during practice in a real environment in various health care institutions and patients’ homes. Partners: Panevezys City Ambulance Station, Panevezys Republican Hospital and other health care institutions of the Republic.
Opportunities for international studies: students of the programme have the opportunity to study according to the ERASMUS student exchange program.
Career opportunities: graduates may pursue study results if they wish to study at university according to the study programmes of the first cycle. After the bridging courses or having accomplished the requirements of other higher educational institution, students have access to continue studies in the second study cycle with the view to attain master’s degree.
The aim of the programme Emergency Medical Aid – to qualify emergency medical aid paramedics who are able independently and together with the medical team to provide the necessary (first and emergency) medical assistance to people of all ages, evaluating the degree of vital functions disorders and the nature of the injuries, demonstrate critical thinking and to develop science-based practical activity.
- Graduates will know national and international health policy, legislation and other documents regulating the activity of emergency medical aid professionals and will provide professional information in the limits of their competence.
- They will be able to apply natural, biomedical, social and humanitarian sciences knowledge in the practice of emergency medical aid professional.
- They will be able to carry out applied scientific research of emergency medical aid, interpret, analyze, summarize and present data received.
- They will be able to apply scientific research and evidence-based practice in dealing with emergency medical problems and develop innovative professional activity.
- They will be able to recognize and evaluate life- threatening conditions of various age people.
- They will be able to select and perform necessary medical aid techniques and actions in case of particular professional activity situations.
- They will be able to provide necessary medical aid in case of life- threatening conditions and traumas.
- They will be able to work in team and integrate science-based research and practice in their professional activity.
- They will be able to communicate and collaborate with health care and other professionals and patients, their relatives dealing with personal health problems.
- They will be able to communicate in Lithuanian and foreign language in the professional activity, adapt to new situations and ensure quality of services provided.
- They will be able to assess professional activity act and make decisions independently with reference to critical, scientific and life-long learning approach.
- They will be able to plan and analyze professional activity, learn consistently and improve taking into account scientific and technical progress.