Study mode and duration: full-time (3 years).
Study programme is carried out: Panevėžys University of Applied Sciences, Faculty of Biomedical Sciences
Degree and professional qualification: professional bachelor of health sciences; proffessional qualification of dental hygienist.
Volume of study programme in credits: 180 ECTS credits.
Why choose this programme: study programme is to prepare specialists of dental hygienist. Graduates who have acquired dental hygiene qualifications, persons will be able to work in all dental clinics and offices licensed to provide oral hygiene services and will be able to found a private oral hygiene office.
|1 course||2 course||3 course|
|General subjects of college studies|
|Safe Work and Civil Security||Sociology||Professional Foreign Language|
|Basics of Enterpreneurship|
|Subjects of study field|
|Bioethics||Information Technology||Dental Care for Patients with Special Needs|
|Anatomy, Physiology and Histology||Internal Diseases, Nursing and Pharmacology||Periodontology and Oral Mucosa Diseases|
|Dental Equipment and Ergonomics||Methodology of Applied Scientific Research||Orthopedic Dentistry|
|Microbiology and Infection Control in Dentistry||Professional Dental Hygiene||Basics of Law|
|Professional Language Culture||General Biochemistry and Immunology||Dental Radiology|
|Psychology and Health Pedagogy||First Medical Aid|
|Prevention and Epidemiology of Oral Diseases||Clinical Dentistry|
|Mouth and Teeth Anatomy||Oral Surgery|
|Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics|
|Dental Care Education||Nursing of Patients||Procedures Performed by Dental Hygienist|
|Dental Workplace Organization||Epidemiology and Prophylaxis of Dental Diseases|
|Subjects set by the College or student electives|
|A1 Assisting in Dentistry / Planning of Dental Diseases Prevention|
|Final Examination, Final Thesis|
PD1, PD2 – optional subjects common for the College, foreseen by the order of the Director.
A1 – alternatively chosen subjects, foreseen by the study programme committee
* This study plan applies from 2018.
Attention to practice: practical skills are being improved by students during practice in a real environment in pre-school educational institutions, personal health care institutions, dental offices and polyclinics. Partners: Panevezys Town Dental Polyclinic, Panevezys Polyclinic, Panevezys Region Municipality Polyclinic, Panevezys Odontologists, in dental offices of Panevezys town family clinics, private dental offices (“Dentavita”, “Odenta”, “Dentinus”, “Gelmidenta”, “Dentica”, “R.V.L.”, “Dentinas”, “Dentas”, “RA Dental”, “Denticus” and etc.)
Opportunities for international studies: students of the programme have the opportunity to study according to the ERASMUS student exchange program.
Career opportunities: graduates may pursue study results if they wish to study at university according to the study programmes of the first cycle. After the bridging courses or having accomplished the requirements of other higher educational institution, students have access to continue studies in the second study cycle with the view to attain master’s degree.
The aim of the programme Dental Hygiene – to qualify a dental hygiene professional who is able to provide qualified oral care services independently, assess oral health condition, plan and implement educational and preventive activities in order to avoid oral diseases, perform professional oral hygiene and organize dental workplace.
- Students know the national and international health policies, legislation and other documents governing the dental hygienist activities and will be able to provide professional information within their
- They are able to apply the biomedical sciences knowledge in the dental hygienist practice.
- They know dental diseases, causes of their occurrence and factors ensuring health of oral cavity organs.
- They are able to collect, store and analyze epidemiological data, prepare and present reports of performed activity.
- They are able to carry out applied research activities and apply its results for professional development.
- They are able to work with dental equipment, instruments and materials and follow infection control requirements.
- They are able to assess the person’s general and oral health status, disease risk, to formulate a diagnosis, make an oral care plan and fill in professional documentation.
- They are able to perform oral care procedures, perform and evaluate dental X-ray.
- They are able to recognize life-threatening conditions and provide first aid in cases of acute conditions.
- They are able to advise patients on dental disease prevention, healthy nutrition, prepare preventive health programs, organize and implement health education.
- They are able to communicate and collaborate with health care and other professionals and patients dealing with oral health problems.
- They are able to communicate in Lithuanian and foreign language, adapt to new situations and to ensure the quality of services provided.
- They are able to evaluate critically their professional practice, solve problems independently, make decisions, and understand the importance of lifelong learning.
- They are able to use modern technology and information systems in the dental hygienist practice, handle properly confidential information.